Monday, June 15, 2015

Charcoal and Graphite Still Life Drawing


Martini Glass and Vase Still Life





Step 1 Crop off paper with masking tape




Step 2 Take the side of charcoal stick and rub all over the surface of paper.




Step 3 Use a chamois cloth by rubbing the charcoal into the paper till you get a light gray tone.




Step 4 This step is optional. I used a homemade view finder which I made to capture the vertical, 
            horizontal and diagnal lines to gauge the proportions.





Step 5  I used a pencil to gauge the width and vertical of the still life objects. I fully extended my arm with a pencil in hand and then closing one eye.  Afterward transfer measurements on to paper.




Step 6  I began connecting the measured widths, verticals and angles of the still life using a H4 pencil.
         



Step 7 Next began to add tone texture and contrast using a vine charcoal stick. In this photo I was adding detail and laying out shadows in the background.  I also used a skewer to extend the short charcoal with masking tape.




Step 8 I used a charcoal pencil 4B to add darker values and defined the details.  I also used a blending stick as in the photo in my hand. I used it to rub the charcoal into the surface of the paper.






Final Results


1 comment: