Sunday, March 14, 2021

How to Create a Stay Wet Palette for Acrylics


Have you ever painted in acrylics and while you were still painting some of your acrylic paint dried up.  Perhap also you hava alot of paint left over from painting and you had to throw that paint away.  I'm pretty sure you saw that paint go into the garbage and you said to yourself there has got to be a way of preserving my paints.  For the past three years I have been using a stay wet palette while painting in plein air.  I also use in my acrylic paint a medium called liquitex slow dri gel not the fluid when I mix my limited palette of color before arriving at my scene to paint.  In this blog post I want to share with you the steps in creating your own stay wet palette. 


Here are the items you will need to create your own stay wet palette. 

Step 1

Gather all your items to create the stay wet palette.  There are two items left out of the photo that you don't have to have but if you want precision they are a must.  A pencil and a ruler is optional.



Step 2

Take the medium size cloth and cut it to the size of the bottom of the shallow container.  After cutting the cloth run water over the cloth and after squeeze it.




Step 2

Take the cloth and and place it at the bottom of the container




Step 3

Take the parchment paper and pull it out to the size of the bottom of container.



Step 4

Measure the distance of the bottom vertical from on size to the other and draw a straight line using a pencil and a ruler then use the scissors to cut the parchment paper.


 


Step 5

Take your scissors and cut along the line you made.  



Step 6

Place the curled side of the parchment paper facing down and spread it out to the sides with your fingers.



Parchment paper is strong enough to withstand the paint and the dampness of the cloth underneath.  Wax paper will not work.  I hope you you have been blessed by this blog post on making a stay wet palette.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment